Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Men in Woods II

I just read Preston's blog about a backpacking trip all the guys went on a few weeks ago. I must admit that when ever Nick goes off and does these sort of things it is bittersweet for me. I definitely do want Nick to be able to do the things he enjoys, especially when he works so many more hours a week than the average 40, many of which are without pay. I completely appreciate all that he does for our family so that I can stay home and have all these kids. Especially since he comes from a family of working women and initially he expected that I would go to work too. He really deserves and needs a break sometimes. Now comes the bitter part. I really look forward to the weekends for so many reasons. I do enjoy the extra hand with the kids but mostly I just enjoy his company. An average week day for Nick consists of him leaving the house at 6:45 to be at work by 7am, and then him stumbling home somewhere between 6(on a good day) and 7:30pm. Not to mention the occasional night flights which sometimes brings him home as late as 1 or 2am. (I should stop here and say that we are very grateful for his job and we have decided to stay here for now because this will actually keep him home more often than most beginning pilot jobs, these are just the hoops we have to jump through until he has more hours.) So, needless to say I miss him when he is not around. I look forward all week to spending time with him on the weekend and then I am disappointed if he's not here.

Last weekend he asked me if he could go backpacking over labor day weekend for 3 nights. I didn't say anything but the look on my face must not have been very nice because he immediately started defending himself. I did NOT want him to go. Especially on a holiday, isn't that supposed to be family time? And the fact that I will be 31 weeks pregnant and am soooo tired didn't help his side either. I was really hoping that all of the other wives would protest so I wouldn't be the bad guy, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Then today when I was reading Preston's blog about their last trip I had a change of heart. How can I look at these pictures and want to deprive him of that. Yes I wish I was able to go with him, but I can't, and I am certainly not going to ask him to stay home. So Preston, thank you for opening my eyes to the importance of guy time. Nick owes you one!!






(These are stolen pictures from the Schwendimen's blog. Their blog is private and I wanted to share some of what changed my mind with you.)

0 comments: