Monday, May 4, 2009

Fancy Hats

When Aaron came home with a homework assignment of decorating a hat for a Hat Parade I was slightly annoyed. As if I didn't have enough to do already (painting, unpacking, arranging, rearranging). I waited until the day before the parade to start it, partly because the only idea Aaron had was Star Wars, but also because I just wasn't looking forward to going to Michael's with all four kids. I had talked him into an outer space theme. I thought it would be easy and cheap, not to mention cute, and it sort of goes along with star wars. Well, it turns out those Styrofoam balls are not so cheap. It was going to cost me $30 to get everything that I wanted. But luckily, on our second trip to the restroom (thank-you Elsie) I spotted a kit for building your own solar system for only $10. Still more than I wanted to spend on something I knew we would throw away, but much better. Aaron and Charlotte helped me paint the planets and then we attached them to the hat with wire. It was fun to make with them.

The Hat Parade ended up being adorable. Some of the boys hats were very creative but the girls were the best. The were all southern belle style hats decorated with flowers and tulle. It made me sad that Charlotte won't be going to kindergarten at that school. I would have had lots of fun decorating a hat with her. We may just have to do it any way for fun!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The children walked ot in groups of two, a girl on each boys arm. Then they bowed and curtsied before walking off stage. It was too cute.

Photobucket
This is one of Aaron's friends Anthony

Photobucket
This is Lily. Aaron loves Lily.

Photobucket

Photobucket
(I'm having fun with these big pictures:))

6 comments:

life at mono lake said...

not only are these pics adorable, it makes me want to have hat day at work! i doubt i could be as creative as you, but i love the hat you made and i am glad it turned into a fun project.
hope everything is going well at the house.
aunt mona

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Michele, nice work on the hat, it turned out so cute!!! Also, congrats on your house. I am excited to see some of the after pictures. Oh and your kids are so cute as always, I can't believe Lila is already 6 months!

Megan said...

Am I a bad mom if I say I am totally dreading school projects like that? LOL

LaRee said...

How fun, good job Aaron and Mom!...
really like the pics!

Jessica Havican said...

Great hat! and your boy is such a stud!!! HAHA

Don said...

I dig Aaron"s hat, he looks so cool in fact the whole outfit is great. I'm really impressed with the stage props too...sadly you're not likely get that level of creativity at Fresno Unified. But how great for you right now! Grampa Don