Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Charter Pilot


Nick passed him last and final (for this company anyway) test and can now fly charter flights! It was almost exactly 4 years ago that he started. He was going to school to be a civil engineer, working grave yard shifts and hating life. I wasn't quite fond of that Nick and I asked him if he could do anything in the world (except race motorcycles) what would he be? He said "Well I guess I'd want to fly airplanes" My response was "Then do it". I knew that it might be dangerous and that he might be gone a lot but this grumpy man wasn't working out to well and I wanted him to be happy. That day he looked up schools and we learned that there was a very good one right here in Fresno. "Perfect, we won't even have to move". He started taking lessons almost immediately. He did still have to work the graves but even though he was tired he was excited about life again. I was pregnant with Charlotte when he started and he was actually flying when I went into labor, but he made it in time for her birth. Then two years later he had finished enough of his CFI (certified flight instructor) tests to begin teaching private pilots. Now after another two years he is all finished! He can teach anyone to fly for any purpose, he can fly commercial (though we don't think he will take that route) and can now fly charter. He has somewhere around 1500 hours now and I think he probably needs another 500 to really apply anywhere else but flying charter will definitely help him get those hours more quickly.

4 comments:

Marci said...

Congratulations Nick!!! And what a wife you are Michelle :-)!

Rachel said...

Congrats Nick! I'm glad you found something that makes you happy. Someday when I am rich and famous you can be my personal pilot.

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Great job Nick, that's exciting.

And I love your post below on things that make you happy. cute.

Wedehase Family Blog said...

Congrats to the ENTIRE Cabiness family! I know Nick has worked hard and the whole family has sacrificed for this. It's exciting to see that it's complete and the hard work has paid off! Time to celebrate! Where is Nick flying you for a hot date? :)