Sunday, June 7, 2009

broken bones

Photobucket
(I have no pictures from the hospital but here she is playing with Aaron's toys in her cute little sling)

I knew Elsie would be the first one to break a bone but I did think it would be more dramatic than falling out of bed.

Nick and I were just about to go to bed when we heard a loud thud followed by Elsie screaming. I knew she was hurt worse than usual but I couldn't see anything wrong. She was pointing to her elbow and crying "HURTS". I gave her some Tylenol and slept with her in her bed all night. In the morning she was still in a lot of pain so I took her to Children's hospital. 4 hours later they told us that she had fractured her left collar bone. They gave her a sling and sent us on our way. At her check up appointment they said it would only be a 3 week recovery, which we were very thankful for. She hasn't let it hold her back. She learned how to do everything one handed which has been very helpful, the first few days were difficult. I felt like I had two babies in the house instead of one. She had recently started using the left arm again and everyday she checks to see how high she can lift it. We have one more week and we should be all healed and ready for swim lessons!

2 comments:

Marci said...

I'm glad you decided to catch up instead of just moving on. Poor Elsie, but the little sling is really cute.

Brittany said...

How scary to hear a thud in the night like that! Good thing she'll heal so quickly though, and I agree that her sling is really cute