Sunday, October 18, 2009

The 80 dollar Pencil

What is the best thing you can hear while getting ready for work you ask? "Nick..... there is a pencil in the drain. Can you get it out?" To which I reply, "oh yeah, no problem". So being the handyman I am, I took off the trap, removed the pencil, and put it back together again with new washers (so as not to leak of course). The parts went together beautifully........ except.....they were so old they broke apart. Then I thought, " I will just replace the trap and pipe from the wall."

Photobucket

Nope! It was a custom made part from 1959 so I had to take more off and continue replacing parts. Push came to shove and my trusty saws-all finished the job. Long story short and two weeks later I had put together a new drain for the bathroom.

Photobucket

I love owning an older home. More importantly, I Love Pencils!


Photobucket
(post by Nick)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick, This is why the TV show Home Improvement was so good.
Fixing a drain is a "3 tripper". You know, it takes at least 3 trips to Fresno Ag to get it done.
Looking at your photos it looks like a job well done!
One more thing, you will live a lot longer if you can forget about the $80.00s you spent. Think of it as the money you saved by doing it yourself!

Diane said...

Good job Nick! I love guest bloggers... and I love a man that can repair a drain :)

life at mono lake said...

'a custom made part from 1959', i dont know which line i loved more..
that or 'the 80 dollar pencil'.

i can definately relate to you. our house was built in 1959 too.

we are slowly rebuilding it, one piece at a time.

Anonymous said...

By the way, did you see that it was a SMART pencil.
Great retro-fix Nick.
Aunt T