Saturday, October 17, 2009

My love

Photobucket



I knew that this day would come much sooner than I would like. From the day she was born I have been trying to savor every moment of this 'could be our last' baby of mine.

I haven't had to try very hard.

The first thought I remember having after she was born was how different she looked (if only to me) from the rest of our children. Nick's response to my comments were "Of course....she's a different baby" but I was amazed that two people could make so many different looking bodies working with all the same materials. Such dark brown hair (which slightly covered her shoulders "when will that fall off?") and her own unique face. I was in awe. She was beautiful, and once again...I was in love.

My love continued to grow in the days that followed. I had lots of help that first week and I used it to cuddle, hold, and love her. Jodi commented to my mother "she won't give anyone else a chance to hold her, she never puts her down!" and it was true. I knew the help would leave, and then I would have to put her down, so I was soaking up all the time I could get.

As written in my journal earlier today "On the anniversary of her birth I have been reminiscing about her arrival and bringing her home. I remember feeling so completely in love with her, and that happiness and love flowing over onto the rest of the family. I became even more grateful for our amazing children and wanted to have four more. It was almost like a drug, having that baby made me so happy, I never wanted to stop having babies. Now that I have had a year to get to know her, I wonder if it was just her happy spirit that I was feeling."

This girl truly is the happiest child I know. Our first three babies liked to save their smiles to share with a select few, but not Lila. She shares her smile for the world to see and it is a joy to watch her light up faces everywhere we go.

We couldn't have hoped for a better addition to our already perfect family, but she came anyway.

6 comments:

Marci said...

This was beautiful! You've made me want to have 4 more too :-)!

Diane said...

That was just beautiful, Michele. Your writing is so eloquent, you let us all share your feelings. Thanks for a lovely start to my day.

Chrissy said...

You are such a wonderful Mom, Michele. You were meant to have and raise children. You SHOULD have 4 more, since you're so amazing!

Jessica Havican said...

I can't believe a year has passed by and Lila is one now! She's so beautiful. I really love reading your posts about the little adventures and discoveries you have being a mom. It's amazing how much you can love your child even before they make their appearance into this world. I'm looking forward to many wonderful and tender feelings of my own in relation to the coming of my little girl. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

We are going to have to calm down with the more kids suggestions. I dont know if I can handle it mentally, somehow my amazing wife does it. I however need to learn. I must say that I really appreciate how Michele can recall the subtle differences of each new child and how they made her feel. I am extremely grateful for Michele sharing her feelings of the day.
-Nick-

Anonymous said...

Michele, your writing is beautiful. I agree with Diane, your writing lets us all share your love and gratitude of you life. You are raising wonderful children. And Lila, I love her "This is the best day ever" smile that lifts up the hearts of all that experience her love.
Aunt T