Thursday, October 30, 2008

Meat-less

There are lots of thing I love in life:

Holding my babies in my arms

Finding patterns, picking out fabric, and sewing something fun

Reading cookbooks

Cooking and baking delicious and healthy things for my family to eat

Filling my shopping cart full of fruits and vegetables




Food has been on my mind lately....

When you are nursing a baby, you get hungry....a lot!

Now that I am getting back to normal life after having our sweet new baby, I finally cooked dinner for the first time in WEEKS (thank you to the wonderful women in Relief Society).

I have really enjoyed the help....... but I have also missed cooking.

Last May I read this article in the Ensign. For the past few years Nick has been telling me to serve less meat but I was worried that it would be too hard to find recipes that were any good. I love meat. But after reading, mainly the parts on nutrition and health, I was inspired to give it a try. My goal was to only make meals with meat once a week.



I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this transition was. I borrowed a wonderful vegetarian cook book from my mother in law and started gathering ideas from the Internet. I also just left the meat out of some of our favorite recipes. I was very impressed with how great many of you are at keeping up your recipe blogs and now I have been inspired by you to start my own.

I first want to say that I am NOT a vegetarian. I WILL be making a turkey on thanksgiving. I will also most likely serve meat for any family gathering which may happen at our house. I have found that people are very defensive about their meat. I want to let you know that I am not trying to take it away from you. I just want to start posting recipes so that others who would like to try might be a little less intimidated than I was. Also, I think it will be fun. I called my sister Alex who has played around with being a vegetarian and a vegan and she was excited about it too!

Three very wonderful things happened when I went mostly meatless and I was not anticipating them. The first one was that I started saving money on groceries, which is always wonderful. Second, I started serving my family tons more vegetables. I think we actually eat more than recommended by the food pyramid now!! And the most exciting one of all..... Nick and I started to loose weight! I know I was pregnant at the time so I wasn't actually loosing, but I wasn't gaining either so that's kind of like loosing!

So, very soon we will start posting our delicious, healthy, and meatless (along with the occasional "too delicious to leave out but also requires meat") recipe.

6 comments:

aLi said...

so excited! tonight i made a potato casserole at dads for dinner. meatless and delish

life at mono lake said...

see how cool alex is?
well, i love my protein too, but i like a lot of fish and chicken. and i could eat veggie just because i like to.
alex can i have the potato casserole recipe? i didnt grow up on casseroles but i do love them.
lately i am so into beans and rice. esp. kideny beans. yum yum yum. anyway, try epicurious.com. i love that website. i have had a lot of luck with it.
aunt mona

Erica said...

Looking forward to the recipes....This year I ate red meat for the first time in 16 years! I never missed it until right around Easter, I started drooling if I saw any kind of meat or a steak commercial.
My first meat was a hormone free-grass fed beef hamburger patti. Sandon prepared it for me, but refused to try it. A month later he joined me.....then we started eating bacon. Now the gates are wide open!
I hope that you inspire me to be less carnivorous again.

Marci said...

I can't wait!

Grama Peechee said...

I'd like a copy of the potato casserole as well. Maybe we can all get into shape. I'm going to log into epicurious.com right now. THis time of year always gets me into the mood to cook.

Terri said...

I can't wait to try your recipes out here in our home... thanks for sharing (in advance).