Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I heart U

The hardest part of sending your child off to school is that they have a life outside of your home which you know very little about. I know what goes on in the classroom (at least what the teacher's letters say goes on) but as far as what happens between him and his friends and on the playground I know only what Aaron decides to tell me or what he can remember.

Most of the questions I have for him at the end of the day are centered around him and his friends.

Here is what I have found out so far.

Aaron was sitting by a boy named Prentice. Apparently they talked too much because on Monday Mrs. Lee moved Aaron to another table. (I was happy to hear that Prentice is still getting in trouble for talking but Aaron is no longer) At this new table Aaron is sitting by a pretty girl (whose name he can't remember). He informed me that he sent two notes to the girl while Mrs. Lee was talking to the class. "What did they say?" I asked. "I heart U" he said proudly.

We had a little talk about this, for multiple reasons, and he hasn't sent anymore. But now she is sending them to him.


Great.




Yesterday, when I asked him who he had played with at recess....

"Oh I always play with Prentice. Do you know that he has a WHOLE LOT of friends that ALL have dark skin? And Mom, they are REALLY cool."

"What do they do that makes them so cool?"

"Oh, I don't really know, but I think I heard one of them say "YO, JOE"
(so if I run around saying "Yo Joe" will he think that I am cool too? I may try it.)
"Do you and Prentice play with all those cool boys?"

"No, we chase girls."


Great.




This morning at the breakfast table Aaron said

"Mom, you know your grandma who lives in heaven?"

"Yes"

"Well, she was talking to me in my head at school yesterday."
"Really? What did she say?"

"I can't remember"



"Try hard. Did she ask you a question? Or tell you something?"

"I can't remember. She was just talking."



"Was it at recess? Or was it during.."

"Oh yeah, she said that she doesn't like bears. Then I said 'Why not? They are so soft and cuddly?"



"Did she say anything else?"

"Yeah...............but I forgot"



I'm glad to have these little glimpses....but they certainly do keep me wondering!

8 comments:

Diane said...

great post. love the dialogue. It is fun to hear different points of view on the back to school issue.

I am dying to know what else grandma said to him. does he mean jackie?

he is such a cutie.

Marci said...

He's so cute :-)!

LaRee said...

How funny!...also would like to know what else grandma J. said when he remembers.

Anonymous said...

I loved your interview with Aaron.
Just a thought about your grandmother, have you done the temple work for her yet? That might be the issue.

life at mono lake said...

the other day i was crying about mom and missing her and a hummingbird came to the window and hovered there for a few minutes. not it seems everytime i am thinking of mom a bird appears in the window. i have also been dreaming a lot. and you are right. she didnt like bears. they frightened her.
thanks for this post.
i love you chele.
aunt mona

Jared and Sami said...

I saw a link to your blog on Rachel's and i saw "I Heart U" and had to read. That is so adorable. You guys have a beautiful family.

shalee said...

So, Dave and i went to see GI Joe last night and "Yo Joe!" is a line from the movie. i thought that might help explain a little bit. Anyway, Aaron is so cute, all your kids are.

Anonymous said...

Michele,
Thank you so much for a wonderful post.
You know Gramma loved you so very much so it does not surprise me that she watches over you and your
wonderful children.

Aunt Tree

PS I love your writing.